Thursday, November 6, 2008

I became an adult when . . .

In my adolescent years, I did not get along with my parents, mainly my mother. I wanted my freedom and I was somewhat rebellious. I was ready to prove to them that I could survive. I felt as if they were more strict with me than my siblings, and I had so much anger toward them because they didn't trust me. However, there was a turning point in the relationship between my mother and me. It was in the summer of 2000 when I was 20 years old, barely a junior in college, and I became pregnant. I was not married at the time, but me getting pregnant was the best "mistake" I ever made. Of course my mother was outraged. The strange thing about the situation was that she didn't stay in a state of anger for long. It only took her about a week to realize that I was an adult. I was capable of making my own decisions and living with the consequences. Now, my mother is my best friend. I call on her for everything. It took my getting pregnant out of wedlock to establish a relationship with my mother. I completely agree with the saying, "You don't understand your parents until you become one yourself."

No comments: